Interrupt testing is one of the functional testing types used to verify the proper operation of the mobile applications and their adequate response to different interruptions.
Mobile Application Interrupt Test Types
The main goal of this testing type is to determine whether the application is able to function normally, to maintain the clarity and convenience of the interface, not losing entered data in case there’s a risk of deterioration or termination of its operation due to the following reasons:
- • incoming calls;
- • receiving SMS and MMS-messages;
- • connecting headphones and playing audio files;
- • cell reception failures;
- • connecting/disconnecting the charger;
- • removing/inserting SD card or battery;
- • operating at a low battery level;
- • receiving notifications from other mobile applications;
- • putting the phone in standby mode and reactivating the device;
- • pressing different phone buttons.
These are the most common reasons that may cause issues for the users of mobile applications. Interruption testing is utilized during the product development to make sure the application does not lose its operational properties. This type of testing ensures the preservation of the application interface graphics, data integrity, and its correct representation, the ability to use the products under critical conditions.
Software Interrupt testing types
When performing software testing we identify the consequences of software (caused by OS code defects) and hardware (related to the device hardware) failures in the stability of the running application. These types of failures include:
- • power off;
- • various failures in the OS operation;
- • connecting/disconnecting of peripheral devices;
- • minimization/expansion of the program;
- • communication failures;
- • launch of other programs.
To test native applications for interrupt, various software testing types are being utilized, such as manual and automated testing methods, “black box” method (testing without access to the program codes), and “white box” method (testing with the search for bugs in the product code). Manual testing involves the use of real devices and software environments. Automated discontinuity testing is performed using various tools and services so that all test processes are accelerated, and the results of a search for bugs in the software product and factors negatively affecting the application performance become more accurate and reliable. For instance, to conduct interrupt tests on Android-based devices, we use a specialized program to generate random crashes and track how the applications respond to them. We report all detected errors into bug trackers and rank them by priority in accordance with the verification matrix. Interrupt testing allows our customers to make their developed products more user-friendly, reliable, and attractive for the users.